McTimoney Chiropractic

http://www.mctimoney-chiropractic.org

During the 1950’s John McTimoney developed a chiropractic technique especially for animals. It is a whole body technique where we gently assess and adjust the alignment of the boney structures. McTimoney chiropractic is very gentle, effective, and particularly well tolerated by animals. Whatever the age of the animal it is frequently the case that overall comfort and performance can be improved and maintained with the aid of Chiropractic care.

In addition to those animals experiencing mobility problems I am particularly interested in promoting the healthy growth and development of puppies and provide “puppy checks” up to 6 months’ of age.
Using a Matscan digital pressure mat each time I treat a dog I am able to maintain an objective record of progress.

Here are some typical indicators that your animal may benefit from Chiropractic care:
• Lameness/limping/uneven gait or nails dragging on floor
• Reluctance to jump in/out of the car, or difficulty going up/down stairs
• Reluctance to exercise/stiffness after exercise
• Changes or deterioration in performance, behaviour or temperament
• Uneven muscle development
• Signs of discomfort especially when back is stroked or touched
• Absence of resolution when using conventional methods

Initially I like to see my animal patients around 3 times over a 4 week period and in many cases here at Wharfedale Veterinary Centre we find that this resolves matters. Some dogs or cats with long term issues may benefit from on going ‘maintenance care’ which is decided upon on a case by case basis. On the other hand, where it is quickly evident (often by reference to my Matscan recordings) that Chiropractic and/or Emmett Therapy is not having the desired result then I can speedily refer the animal back to its Vet for further investigation.

All animals must have been referred by their own Vet who will have concluded that Chiropractic treatment is appropriate for the presenting condition.
Animals that are not registered with Wharfedale Veterinary Centre may be referred to me by their own Vet who will remain overall in charge of his patient.

Emmett technique

http://www.emmett-uk.com

Since around 2014 I have used both McTimoney Chiropractic and Emmett Technique in the same treatment session for all my human patients and I now use the same approach for my animal patients.

The Emmett technique is based on the belief that light touch at specific points triggers a relaxation response in the soft tissues of the body and an Emmett therapist can help relieve tensions which may then result in feelings of improved comfort.

I find the focus and benefits for animals is much the same as for humans; in animals the typical symptoms that may be assisted include:
• Various injuries and lameness
• Emotional problems
• Stiffness
• Decreased suppleness
• Changes in performance

Matscan

Matscan – Digital pressure mat
I am probably the only Chiropractor using a Matscan digital pressure mat and all dogs have a Matscan prior to each treatment. The Matscan is very ‘dog friendly’ and unlike the weighing scales does not “shake, rattle or roll’! The purpose of the Matscan is to provide us with an objective measure of progress and frequently it is the Matscan results that flag up areas of concern that may need further Veterinary intervention – in spite of the dog’s appearing to be much improved and with little signs of his former discomfort.

Our Matscan is programmed to assess the percentage of weight the animal is placing on each leg/foot when he is standing still. In an ideal world there will be around 60% of his body weight going through his forelimbs leaving his hindquarters to bear the remaining 40%.

The dog will be steadied by his owner as he stands still (!) on the Matscan for around 20 seconds to make a video recording of the weightbearing % as evidenced by the footprints.

We can then pull up a graph which shows how each leg is performing over the 20 second video.


Green = Right foreleg Turquoise = Left foreleg Red = Right hindleg Purple = Left hindleg You can see how little the dog is using the right hindleg.

Top left box is Right foreleg – look how little of Right hind is making contact with the ground.

The owner had observed lameness in left hind – but the Matscan indicated the root cause of lameness was actually to be found in the right hind leg however the dog had not been obviously lame until the left hind started to suffer due to the undue stress placed on it.